Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Social Media Memory Jogger

My mind was blown (70's term for you youngsters) when I was contacted last night on Facebook by a man whose elderly mother lives on the same street as one of my best friends from Jr. High School.  In his message he dropped names of people I haven't thought of in ages.  It disturbs me that I recognize names but can't seem to attach them to faces.  Wasn't that in the Twilight Zone a lot?  Faceless people.....Yea, it spooked me then and it is spooking me now! 

Stories of acquintances and friends dying are becoming way to frequent.  We are seeing the results of many of the destructive behaviors we were involved in during our youth.  Thankfully our current youth don't seem to be involved in these destructive behaviors - they just go to school and shoot each other!  Seriously, did you ever have to worry you might get shot in the back or held hostage while you were at school?  My biggest fear was that I would get caught smoking in the bathroom or that I would get a bad mark on a test.  And what is up with Austin Texas?  They have decided to allow kids to bring guns to school just in case they need to defend themselves....... Now that's a creative solution!  It must have been made by aging hippy school administrators who forgot we stopped taking LSD in the 80's.  

My Must-Do activity this weekend is to pull out the old year books and take a pictoral journey down Memory Lane.  I need to fill in the faces of acquintances both alive and those who have passed.  Do I place a mark next to the pictures of those who have died?  Is that morbid?  Perhaps it is practical.  When we threw a 50th Anniversary party for my parents, many of the invitations came back because the people were dead.  Is that when you want to find out, when planning a party?  It was difficult to plan because no one had a list of dead people!  They should offer a course in school, "Aging 101" so we all know the protocal for handling this type of thing. 

There is another motive for pulling out the yearbooks this weekend.  I really need to jog my memory.  In the messages sent to me by my new Facebook Friend, he said, "Do you remember playing Truth or Dare and Spin the Bottle with ........ "?  Since I am too afraid to ask, I am dying to know whether I behaved myself or not.

1 comment:

  1. SO TRUE SALLY...ARE YOU IN MY HEAD...AND I HAVE ALL 4 OF OUR CHS YEARBOOKS NOW ON A SHELF NEARBY....AND SO TRUE AND SAD ABOUT THE YOUTH....AND ABOUT THE LIST...SO SAD THAT FROM OUR CLASS THERE ARE MORE PEOPLE "GONE" THAN FROM MY OLDER BROTHER AND SISTER'S CLASSES...OY....YOU ARE REALLY GREAT AT THIS....MAYBE IT AL JUST HITS SO CLOSE TO HOME BECAUSE WE ARE THE SAME AGE...ONCE AGAIN...KUDO..YOUR BIGGEST FAN

    ReplyDelete