Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Great Sunday

Today was a fabulous day! We went to Rhode Island this morning for dance team practice and the routine is finally coming together. On the way to practice we had some great conversation and enjoyed the sunshine beaming into the windows. After 3 hours of practice we came home to take my son Danny to the pet clinic to get his cat vaccinated and checked. We went to a new grill next to the clinic and they were having .25 wings in 8 different flavors. We had our fill of wings and beer and the bill was barely $20! Went to Trader Joes, came home, Steele went to DJ and Danny and I hung out, drank tea and visited. A perfect Sunday!

Some of you may be saying, "but what about church?" I haven't regularly attended church for years now. I used to go faithfully, not only on Sunday, but during the week too. But then something happened...I got a divorce. Suddenly there was gossip flowing from Christian to so-called Christian. I was apparently having multiple affairs and more than one "friend" told me that I was backslidden. Apparently, divorce is so bad that all the service, sacrifice, prayer and fellowship is instantly forgotten. My ex-husband even had the nerve to tell my then 7 year old son that "Mommy doesn't love Jesus anymore."

I love my Lord and I always will, i just don't like church people. Sure, there are the exceptions, but I find the majority of church people don't practice Christianity outside of church walls - they fail to understand that WE ARE the church. Maybe that is the issue, we are, but they aren't! Whatever it is, I refuse to allow myself to go through that sort of rejection and pain again, so I don't go. I tried attending weekly without getting to know anyone at the church or spending time with them but it just didn't work out, it wasn't the same.

Apparently divorce is a worse sin than all the others that caused Christ to go to the cross, although I can find no evidence of this anywhere in the Bible. I know this because my ex-husband was nominated as a deacon, and it was denied because he was divorced. He had married a young girl who got pregnant while still in high school. He was pressured by family to have her get an abortion, but he refused. He felt that marrying her was the right thing to do. Ironically if he had aborted his offspring, he would qualify as a deacon, so apparently divorce is much worse than abortion. One man in our church used to be a drug addict AND dealer. You guessed it...he was a deacon!

No, I am content to enjoy the people I love on Sunday. To dance, to eat, to visit, it's all good. Thank you Lord for a wonderful day!

3 comments:

  1. As a divorced Catholic, I can relate to this. Excellent post and very relevant to me. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. got ya....that must have been a horribe time..love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry that you had to go through that!! People like to gossip to make themselves look better. It is WRONG!!! Leagalism is bad!!! I am so glad to be apart of our church that allows everyone to serve~regardless of their past!! Isn't it amazing that Christians can hurt us more than non-Christians?? Big hugs Friend :)

    ReplyDelete