Monday, March 14, 2011

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall

My parents live across the country and I miss them a lot. Over the years our visits have been mostly quiet and enjoyable. My Mom and I do a lot of reminiscing and my Dad and I play pool and run errands. I enjoy cooking for them while I am there, we play marbles and dominos. Nice!

I was especially close to my Mom while growing up. We did a lot of girl stuff together. We shopped, went out to lunch and went to visit friends. I loved sitting at the kitchen counter when Mom's friends came over to listen to their conversations. I still love seeing my Mom, that is unless she is looking back at me from my mirror! Yikes!

Don't get me wrong, Mom isn't ugly. In fact, she was really quite beautiful in her time. I just don't want to look like her. Seeing her face in the mirror means I am all grown up, and I can't go back. It means my youth is gone and my future won't include relay races, hopscotch, Barbies or bikinis. I don't want to be my Mother!!!

It is ironic that as we age the years between us seem to lessen. There is absolutely nothing alike between an infant and an 18 year old. Their lives seem to be light years apart. But once the 18 year old turns 40 and the infant is now 22, they have much more in common. They may sit
in the same college classroom or both be into scrap booking. Now add another 20 years and they are neighbors. They sing in the church choir together and invite each other to parties. They are friends.

Maybe we start to look like our parents as the gap between our ages becomes inconsequential. Maybe it's because we reach a certain age and we don't change much more so the woman inside my Mother is really about the same age as I am. I guess the truth is, we will never know, and even if we knew, it wouldn't change the outcome.

Mom, I can't wait to see again and to catch up. You are very precious to me and I love you very much, but could you PLEASE stop looking at me!?!?

1 comment: