Saturday, March 12, 2011

Now Showing: The Condo

Have you seen the movie 'The Firm' with Tom Cruise?  It's an older movie about a newly married man who takes this high paying job working for a posh law firm.  Sounds good right?  The catch is - he can't leave.  He of course doesn't know this until he tries to leave.  What ensues is an edge of your seat thriller type psycho-drama.  I love those! 

What I don't love is living the movie without Tom Cruise's salary or someone to write a "happily ever after" ending!  No, I didn't get a law degree -  I bought a condo. 

It seemed like a good idea at the time.  I was a single mother, working full time at a job that required frequent travel and on top of all that, I was in Graduate School!  Who had time to take care of a yard?  In New England, where I live you have to scoop stuff in the yard all the time. We have tons of leaves and tons of snow and it all requires scooping.  If you don't have time to scoop, your house tells the world the scoop about you, "Hey world a single mother lives here!"  I moved. 

At first, everything seemed OK.  The people were friendly enough, albeit most of them were much older than I was.  It wasn't until I needed some matters addressed by the condo board that the psycho-drama began. 

To sum it up, in the past 7 years, I have been sued, fined, harassed and 'special assessed' to death!  My condo fees have nearly doubled and are now so high that I can't sell.  I am still paying for a roof assessment that was spread out over 5 years and the new roof is leaking to the point where part of my ceiling recently fell down which of course appeals to the most discerning buyers. The condo by-laws state that all units must be owner occupied, so I can't even rent out my unit and slip away to hide from this nightmare.  I am stuck! 

If I could take my condo and move it out of the clenches of the wicked board I would be very happy because I really do love it.  It is spacious and lovely and has all the amenities I could ever hope for.  It is a wonderful home for my family, my cat and my little dog.  The other day the winds were so incredibly strong that I thought, "wouldn't it be great if the condo could get swept away by the wind and land in a different place..........."
Sorry, different movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment