Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Why I hate Facebook

It has been a long time since I have blogged. Life just seems to get in the way of all the things I want to do. Crap! Add to that the fact that I am probably writing about a very unpopular subject - double crap! Even so, I bravely move forward...... (feeling very brave and soldier like)......

I HATE Facebook! Sure, I am on there. I post pictures via mobile uploads, I tell the world where I am eating and I search for old school friends, all of which are admirable past times worthy of spending valuable time away from my family. And I Tweet too! Why? I have NO idea. Maybe because my friends and family do also.

On to the confession.............(the part you are waiting for when blogger bears all sins and you relate making all of us feel better). Here it is: I am ON Facebook TO have time with my family and my friends. How sad!
What has happened to us? We used to pick up the phone (remember when we only had one number?) and call each other with news. Births, deaths, proposals, jobs, relocations, weddings,divorces, surgeries, sickness, incarceration.....yes, I have heard of all of these from people I love and care about on Facebook! No more personal phone calls. No more Kodak moments sent through the mail. No more human touch. No more.

I came downstairs the other morning and saw a 14 year old sitting at the breakfast table with a waffle on a plate in front of her, a pad on the table attached by headphones to her head, the television on next to her and a cell phone in her lap rapidly creating and responding to text messages. Have you seen this? It freaks me out! Want to know what freaks them out? Ask them to call someone. Ask them to engage in non electronic communication. They freak out! I realized the other day that I have become part of this problem. My husband and I will sit at our his and hers desks in the office, maybe 10 feet apart and we will email each other! How sick is that? It gets better. We can fight over email while 10 feet apart in the same office! And this is the home we are raising the ever so connected, afraid of human contact, constantly raising my electric bill, embarrassed to make a phone call cyber teen in.  The home with 3 people, 5 computers and  6 televisions.  

Forget it - as compelling an argument as can be made for the electronic nurturing this teen is receiving, I still blame Facebook!  (she says as she stops writing to go post this blog on FB)......

Did I say that?

No comments:

Post a Comment